Monday, January 4, 2010

Seeing & Photographing




"Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph."
--Andre Kertesz
One of my goals throughout this year I want to do a lesson/blog. Not only does it keep my own mind sharp but also it helps other people out. I plan on doing this once a month. As a Photographer you need to see what your photographing and determine the best way to translate it in to an image. Now there's a number of things that I'll get into later on this year that you have to take into consideration: exposure, lighting, depth of field, etc. Seeing what your photographing is important but you also have to feel what your shooting. Shoot what moves you: people, wildlife, sunsets etc. Being prepared helps with being in the right place at the right time as well as being familiar with your subject helps bring out a great image. Go out and scout and area out ahead of time. Also what plays along with seeing is how to best bring out your subject: framing converging lines etc.
One of my favorite shots to take during the fall foliage season is a shot with leaves on a rock with the water going around them. If there was no water the shot is a very good one. Everyday I go out to my back yard and look at the Lancaster skyline. It's a familiar scene about a month ago the dark clouds provided a great background to the direct light.
Hope you enjoy.
Nick

No comments: