Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Compostion 1 of 2, Rule of Thirds




"Great Photographs are created, not by following some recipe, but by careful process of thinking and planning." --Unknown.
This month and next month I want to discuss composition. This month I'm discussing rule of thirds. Next month will be lines. For everything we do in life there is a set of rules without rules there would be chaos. But also there is a time and a place 'break' the rules. In photography we have the 'rule of thirds.' Which states that an image should be broken into 9 equal parts spaced by 2 equal horizontal lines and 2 equal vertical lines. And important compositional elements should be placed where these lines intersect. This creates more tension, energy and interest in the composition then just centering it up. Now there is a time and a place to break this rule and that is if the image is a stronger image and you purposely broke the rule to enhance your composition and increase your creativity. Go ahead and break it. My bridge reflection here I purposely broke the rule to have an equal amount reflection and sky. My creek image I did place it off center to make the eye move along the stream. I feel one of the pitfalls that is easy for anyone to fall into is being 'bound' by the rules. Don't be afraid to break them in order to enhance your image.
Hope you enjoy
Nick

No comments: